There are many wonderful reasons to use decorative mirrors in the home. They can be used to open up a small space, they are great for reflecting light in a room that tends to be dark and they are a great enhancement to your décor. There are many people who desire to use mirrors to decorate. However, some do not understand the guidelines that come with the same. Here are some dos and don’ts that you should definitely consider when decorating with mirrors.
Some of the things you should do include:
- Using large mirrors to decorate small rooms – You can purchase large decorative mirrors online and use them to give the room some depth. If you have a small dining room with a beautiful chandelier having a large mirror to reflect it is a great idea. You could also place a mirror directly across a piece of artwork that you absolutely love.
- Make your mirror the focal point – Whenever you are decorating, you need to have a focal point. Using a mirror as the focal point is a great idea. Not only is it beautiful, but also you can set the tone of your décor for that room around that particular piece.
- Use mirrors in narrow spaces – If your home has narrow staircases and hallways, then mirrors can make all the difference. Go with a small horizontal mirror so as to make the space appear wider.
Some of the things you shouldn’t do include:
- Don’t place mirrors just anywhere – One of the things you do not want to do is to simply fill an empty space on your wall with a mirror. It is important that the placement be strategic and preferably reflecting something beautiful to look at. Your mirror should not reflect bad furniture or clutter.
- Don’t overdo it in your bedroom and kitchen – With the convenience of purchasing mirrors online, you can be tempted to overdo it in the various rooms. It isn’t necessary at all to have mirrors in the kitchen, but you can use them strategically. Having a mirror in the bedroom is okay but it should be in a place where your early morning reflection is not what you see once you get up. Placing a mirror or mirrors above your headboard is an ideal place.
- Don’t place a mirror on the ceiling – This may be an obvious thing to some, however others may consider it a great idea. It is considered tacky and should be avoided at all cost.